Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, June 09, 2006

PPC Mac Mini On SDTV

Actually played with this last weekend, but keep forgetting to mention. I hooked my PowerPC based Mac Mini to my old 36" RCA CRT just to see how it might fair as a media computer. The short version: pretty good. DVDs played quite well, although not quite as well as my aging Toshiba CinemaSeries player. No Front Row means relying on Sailing Clicker as a cell phone remote, but that's extremely functional so there's no worries there. The only real problem was trying to do things like web surf and read email ... activities sorely limited by the fuzzines inherent in the SDTV resolution.

So it didn't earn a place next to the television just yet, because it doesn't add anything we don't already have. However, I'm still playing with some Torque based 2D games, so the Mac Mini Game Console might just see the light of day after all.




tagged: ,

No comments: