Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Is Apple Finally Taking Games Seriously?

Ars Technica does a fine job of providing an overview of the current facts and rumors on Apple's plan for games. Since the day I brought my Mac Mini home, I've bemoaned the lack of an orchestrated effort on Apple's part to vitalize games across their hardware, so it would be interesting to see them finally take a stab at it. I just hope they don't follow in Microsoft's footsteps, who recently announced that Direct X is for Vista users only. To be honest, there's never been much about Microsoft's gaming strategy which has really appealed me and in recent years they seem to be happy to practically gut PC gaming for the needs of the Xbox.

If Apple's going to do it ... I hope they do it their own way. Come out with a revolutionary controller. Create games which use the iSight. Design games for people who have Macs on the road or hooked up to the television. Something distinctive to force people to rethink how Macs game.



tagged: ,

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Freescale is doing an XNA-like framework for Nintendo, it'd be interesting to see that extend to a Mac framework for porting, particularly if there are related interface devices. Also, I don't know about you, but my Mac has a built in camera, so eye-toy like apps are also possible.

Josh said...

The Mini doesn't, but it's a relatively simple add-on. iMacs and MacBook/Pros have them across the board, I believe.

Granted, I haven't seen the EyeToy style control be used for much more than shtick, but it certainly doesn't have to be that way.