Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, July 15, 2005

Dev Night Diary: Disparaging Thoughts

Haven't had a DND for a while, but there are reasons. I've been somewhat caught in my own dev quagmire. My first problem with UTC was having no idea of what I was doing. Unfamiliar with Torque 2D and clueless about C++ were fairly big obstacles. But now my problem is far worse. Now my problem is that my game isn't any real fun. I've tried ripping it up and putting it back together in various ways, but it still feels like ... at best ... a very derivative shooter with little longevity. The visuals are lacking and while the procedural textures are nice ... they aren't nearly efficient or powerful enough to do what I currently need.

There's something inherent missing or broken and it's hard to put my finger on just what it is. I may take a few steps away from the project for now and start on something else.

No comments: