Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Incommunicado

While things are looking up, communicating with the outside world has been an odd challenge lately. Since my DSL line and voice line decided to go all battle royale on each other, they essentially cancel each other out. Then of course, I lost my cell phone - so there went my last backup. Did I mention that the GF and I have like five people joining us for the weekend?

It might all be resolved this week though. I delivered a DSL filter to our upstairs neighbors, which may resolve the feud of data (though I doubt it, the house has been sharing a line for months now, so I don't know why it would suddenly be a problem) and the girl found my cell phone in her jacket pocket.

Course, it's interesting to note the choices we have these days.

For one thing, Speakeasy offers "OneLink" ... which DSL service without phone service. What's notable about that is that it's remarkably similar to the DSL service I used to have, which required no filters and never had a problem. My personal suspicion is that the fight between DSL providers and phone providers has gotten exceedingly rough since the phone companies moved in on both fronts. I still can't call SBC without them trying to sell me away from Speakeasy.

Course, Cingular (who by magic is becoming my wireless provider) does offer EDGE phones with bluetooth. So with one device, I could have all my voice needs and a decent modem to boot.

No comments: