Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

NaNo Win


Around midnight last night I clocked in the 50,000 mark of my NaNoWriMo entry, Wonderful. The end result is a mess of a rough of a rough draft - a series of inconsistent plot points, two dimensional characters and lousy dialog. Also, I think I'm quickly losing my ability to spell.

Still, NaNo is a brilliant excuse to write and a kind of self-imposed challenge with the spice of peer pressure to egg you on. It's not that anyone will actually think less of you if you don't win, 99.9999% of people won't even notice - but you get to feel as if they would and press on anyway. It's not even about the winning, it's just about the jumping in and getting something on paper.

So anyway, I'm back. I don't know what I'll use to consume my time now - but I'll probably get back to the Flex based text adventure I was working on before.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! 'Grats on finishing.

sterno said...

Congrats! This may now qualify you to be a scab writer in Hollywood :)

Mark said...

Woohoo! Congratulations, although you make fun of it, Nano can be a good window into a person, demonstrating their ability to get something done, even when the first flush of novelty wears off and the daily grind begins.

Congrats, you should be proud

Josh said...

Thanks! Yeah, I've got a bit of pride on it, although bragging rights diminish somewhat when it takes ten minutes to explain what you accomplished to someone not familiar with the concept :)

I do think NaNo has a lot of benefits outside of winning though - anything that gets a hoard of people writing anything is good in my book.