Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dev Diary: Unroguelike

I've gotten some query as to the state of the roguelike project. I'm not sure how to respond. Right now, I'm porting the Dreadnought concept over to this weird hybrid of Randolph Carter and the roguelike alpha code. The interface is mostly text with a small map with ASCII representations for objects in the room. There will probably be a status window as well. The user could, in theory, use either the map or the text to interact with the story/world.

But I really only have a mockup right. One room, little interaction, nowhere to run to baby. Nowhere to hide. Not sure where it's going.

Also, my journeys back into the PC dug up my old turn-based Unreal code. I had forgotten how functional it was, even though there are miles of ocean between it and anything really playable. Someone from the old mod scene swung by last week to try and entice me into UT3 modding (when it hits). My reaction was pretty negative - I spent a lot of hours playing with UT2k3 and 2k4 only to hit mostly negative comments because, quite honestly, it's not the kind of stuff people are interested in. I'm not all hoppy to jump back into that again. I spent less time and have gotten much better feedback from Randolph Carter than anything I modded after my UT2003 mutator packs.

Yet - I know nobody else is trying this. Single player, turn based, etc. Before the CheapBox++ becomes truly obsolete, maybe it is worth salvaging.

No comments: