Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I'm lucky to be alive

After listening to Paul Smith, First Amendment lawyer, talk about the censor war against comics, I realized - I'm lucky to be alive.

I've survived three waves of violent brainwashing media that was going to either make me a immoral zombie, a suicidal wretch or a killing machine (or some combination thereof). I read comics when I was really young. I played Dungeons & Dragons before I was even a teenager (and we're not talking that sanitized, no-Lovecraft mythos, 2nd Edition stuff - we're talking red and blue boooks here), and I've been playing video games since Atari had the moxy to design them for the living room.

And if you think this is the first time I've heard the "these things will invade your brain and make you a killer" routine ... you need to listen to this. That's an audio clip of Tom Hanks from Mazes & Monsters, the propaganda film of choice for convincing young ones that role-playing games will lead to violent deaths. Seriously, go read about it, and see if you can draw any connections to what's happening now.

So yeah, apparently my brain is strong stuff. To quote Sam Donovan, if you're going to came after me - you better bring some kryptonite.

No comments: