Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Monday, February 09, 2009

Dear LittleBigPlanet: I was *this* close to giving up

I'm really, really not a fan of platformers. I put up with them back in the day when they were more or less the predominant life form in the gamingverse, but now I've got all sorts of options and so jumping from point to point in the dire hope that I don't fall so that I don't have to restart from another point, or worse - the very beginning - just isn't wildly appealing to me.

But some surprise me. I played through to nearly every star of Super Mario 64 and barely even noticed the time had passed. And quite honestly, LittleBigPlanet may be the best platformer ever made.

But it's still a platformer and hence when I spend twenty minutes or so jumping on a stupid a trampoline because is the only way to finish the level - it does suck the fun out a bit. This is a point nearly three-fourths the way through The Wedding Level, and it drove me insane.

For the record - you jump as the tramp is just going back up. Not before, or after - or your little sackperson will flail around like a monkey. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't that bad. But until then - it is insanely annoying.

So it was nearly a shelf moment, but I'm glad it wasn't. I've moved on from The Wedding already stumbled into some choice moments (like the dog with the lantern following you around). Was going through the creation tutorials before going to bed, hope to try them out some soon.

No comments: