Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, June 06, 2008

Fly The Cheap Little Wind

That's a line from a FSOL song actually, and with prices these days I won't be flying any cheap winds anytime soon. I will be flying out to San Fran for WWDC which means I don't know how much blogging I'll get done for the next week. Apple is odd about that kind of stuff as it is and I'll probably be spending most of my time as I usually do in these situations - half listening to whatever it is going on around me and half coding on some project which may or may not have anything to do with anything but sounds really, really cool to me at the time.

I'll probably be either updating the app we're developing at work or the game I've been playing with. I still love how game and business development dovetails. I completely rewrote the basic interface framework while we were in New York (The Girl was getting her hair done at the time) and it went so much faster after knowing more about how to build out delegates and views and the such.

In game related news, I'm glad to see Play Digital's podcast finally getting updated with the return of the lovely Katharine and her brutally good reviews. I don't see the site updated, however, which is fine as I'll be taking it with me for the flight anyway.

I got a few follow up questions, by the by, on using the Mac as a wireless media server for the PS3. For a moment there it looked more dire than my initial take on the matter. When we tried to watch My Name Is Earl the video would stutter and freeze about every three minutes or so. This, however, seems to have been a result of my D-Link wireless router finally dying. Well, I say finally for no good reason since the damn thing is barely a couple years old. Once I got a new router (some Netgear number with a big blinking blue top) and got the access point up in the living room (cheaper than paying RCN to come out and "internet enable" the living room cable jack) - it's been stone cold smooth ever since.

So to be specific - I'm using a Mac with 10.5, NullRiver's MediaLink and an area with a really strong wifi signal. I've had less luck with say, TwonkyMedia - although that seems to be more of a format issue than anything else.

The HDTV decision is coming down the pipe soon should anyone have any last minute armchair advice on such a purchase.

No comments: