Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

RebelStar First Impressions

Poor Rebelstar Tactical Command came into the house around the same time as Guild Wars, otherwise I would have already spent more time with it.

First glances are highly favorable. It feels like a mildly stripped down version of the X-Com experience with more JRPG style graphics. Not a bad mashup at all. I'm only going through the tutorials still, but X-Com fans will find a lot of familiar friends in aimed versus snap shots, overwatch events and strict visibility rules. I'm only guessing that the base management has been stripped since I haven't gotten any expectation above a Final Fantasy Tactics style of a mission based campaign. This might hinder the replayability a bit compared to X-Com, which was a delight to replay trying different strategies in the overall war campaign.

Humorously, I forgot I had pre-ordered it from Amazon, so I'll soon have an extra copy laying around. Will probably either auction it off or give it away here on the blog.

No comments: