Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, June 29, 2007

Oblivion Sucking My Hard Drive Away

It seems like every time I play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, it gets less stable. It has gotten to the point where I don't play full screen anymore in the hopes of recovering from a crash. Sometimes, though, it just takes the whole Windows box with it.

And people wonder why I like console games.

Did this happen to anyone else? I didn't see any mass reports of unreliability. I'm afraid this is tipping my hard drive (which I did defrag after the install) into Oblivion itself. I suppose I could re-install, but I'm like level 20 right now.


Ronald said...

Computer issue. If it was game related usually (but not all the time) you'd just get dumped back to the desktop.

I've played Oblivion for 122+ hours and the amount of crashes I've gotten is pretty rare. The 111+ hrs was on my old Athlon XP 2800+ with ATI X800 video card. The 11+ was on my C2D with Geforce 8800GTS.

Mostly played on 2003 32bit.

You should do the usual.

Memtest86+ over night.
Processor burn-in overnight.
Loop the Doom 3 demo or 3dmark demo overnight.
Run a temp monitor during these sessions as well and have it log to a .csv/.txt file.

Don't forget to blow out your computer of all the dust it has collected.

Downgrade/upgrade your drivers as appropriate.

Remove unnecessary peripheral/cards to pinpoint the issue.

Josh said...

I think I've figured it out. The HD is fairly old and I think it just wasn't handling large textures very well. A lower res/texture set seems to have stabilized it quite a bit.