Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Doom 3 on the CheapBox

I finally found my Doom 3 Disk 1 last night and re-installed it onto the CheapBox. The Girl and I have company for a week, so I didn't really get time to put it through it's paces ... but the bottom line is - it runs OK. I'm probably stuck on low quality mode, but it's hard to tell because I remember that opening scene would slow even my old rig. The CB seemed to get about 20-60 FPS as a steady range, with it usually hitting smoothly above 30, but that was just bouncing around the lobby and not killing imps. I'll post more as I find it.

In other news, Guild Wars still works in high detail, no AA, just fine.

And before anyone cringes, I still like Doom 3 gosh darnit. I do think id made some serious mistakes in the general design - largely inventory control. Personally, instead of the generic instant light everyone else uses, I would have preferred offhand grenades that could be swapped out for flares.

No comments: