Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Monday, September 26, 2005

China Must Be A Magic Place

Recently, my Zaurus went missing. I think some idle hands may have done away with it. I had just gotten used to using it as a music player at work, so I was a little bummed. However, The Girl and I just got these fancy new cell phones and mine, a Nokia 6230 labels itself as able to play MP3 files.

There are two basic impediments to using your phone as an MP3 player. One is storage, but thanks to the wonders of modern technology, one can get a 1GB MMC without having to take out a loan anymore. The other issue is a little more problematic. That being that as an MP3 player, the 6230 has no headphone jack.

Nokia does make a "fashion" headset for this purpose. Of course, it's almost impossible to find. Also, if you're like me you might be a little picky about how it feels then it might be bothersome that this is like, the only headphones in the world that you can use.

Unless, apparently, you live in China. Because I found off of eBay a Nokia branded adaptor which does nothing provide the missing jack. A trip to Target to find a pair of Koss most similar to the ones that ran off with the Zaurus, and I'm now listening to songs off my phone as I type this. Now, from everything I can see on the net ... this adaptor should even exist. So I can only assume that in China, people have magic. And they can use that magic to get things from alternate dimensions or possibly even the future.

The adaptor even has a little button on it. When I click it, it advances to the next song. It's almost creepy.

Naturally it's not the most robust thing in the world in terms of features, but the sound quality is quite good, better than the Zaurus for sure. In fact, my only complaint is that it may a little loud at even it's lowest setting. I haven't figured out playlists yet, but I usually just hit random anyway. Basically I have the iPod Shuffle from hell, empowered with Chinese magic.

No comments: