Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Game Play: Fallout 3 First Impressions

I didn't get a lot of time with Bethesda's latest, but I got through the tutorial and (I don't think this exactly constitutes a spoiler) out of the Vault. My impressions so far are almost universally positive, I think everything from the interface to the voice acting feels solid, VATS seems like a great concept for mixing up FPS and RPG style combat, and the world (sorry doubters) feels like Fallout to me.

I know there will always be some dissenting views on it, but just like there were people walking out of Jackson's Lord Of The Rings thinking it just wasn't exactly like the book, sometimes we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm willing to guess that this will be Bethesda's best so far, but its still very early in the game for me, so give me a week or so to beat on it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're playing on PS3? I've heard it's of dodgy quality. Any comments on that?

Josh said...

There was like one scene where I thought I noticed the framerate chug, but nothing major. I'm not doing a side by side, obviously, but the for most part the graphics, et al, seemed just fine.

I might have more info when I get out into the larger gameworld, but so far I'd give the PS3 version a thumbs up.