Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Revolution is Falling

But for the Revolution to not support HD is kind of a death sentence. By the time these boxes hit the streets, everyone is going to have at least 720p LCDs in their rooms. Are you going to visit your friends with 360s and PS3s and then come home to glorious low def? I don’t think so.
-- gizmodo

I do love gizmodo ... but please. Isn't this a bit of a stretch? Personally, I'm not going to have an HDTV by next Spring. 90% of the people I know have never mentioned HDTV to me. Of the remaining 10%, maybe half of those actually care about gaming.

When these boxes hit the streets, HDTV will still be pulling itself up by the bootstraps trying to make itself the standard. Eventually it will probably get there, but somehow I don't foresee my game collection suddenly going obsolete just because the calendar hits April 2006.

I'm willing to entertain that graphics are an important aspect of gaming. I think declaring everything sub-HD completely uninteresting in the span of the coming year to be a stretch. Nintendo is making itself quite clear that it's not trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony on their terms, which is pretty smart. Let's wait to see what they've got before declaring them dead on arrival.

2 comments:

Winkyboy said...

I know ONE person who has a HDTV. Everyone else I know that has a nice TV has a pretty nice (read: huge) "regular" TV.

As usual, I rather suspect it will be the games that make the machine. Specs go a long way, but popularity wins the race.

On that note, it IS nice to finally "do away with" VHS.

A. LaMosca said...

Like Nintendo, I'm betting that it'll be a while before HDTV becomes the standard. Probably a long while. Nintendo could lose some of the core gamer market down the road if HDTV prices drop dramatically well before the end of the next-gen console cycle, but given the Revolution's target audience I don't think that it's low-def capabilities will be that much of an issue. I'm still betting that the Revolution's price and games will make it the console of choice for families/kids, and among that demographic it'll make a strong showing regardless of what happens with HDTV.