Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Action UT is all out of bandages

I won't rant much about this here, as I already am getting embroiled here and here.

Action UT has ceased development and will probably not be passing the series on to anyone else. Action was one of the first big mods to ever be in existence. They were around before people bothered describing things a Total Conversions or whatnot. They were around before Valve realized that if they bought out Counter-Strike, they wouldn't need to develop a new title for a while.

My, how things have changed. Have they changed for the better? Well, lemme ask you this. When is the last time you wished a mod came in a box? DSL has made that relatively obsolete. When is the last time you played a mod and said, "I'd pay $30 for this." A lot of gamers quibble about paying $40 for a commercial title. But most importantly:

When is the last time you played a mod and said - wow, I've never played anything quite like this before. I hope more games in the future are made like this.

Probably been a while.

Doh, that was a short rant. I think I need some ibuprofen.

No comments: