Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Monday, April 17, 2006

Man Kills Girl, Media Blames Kingdom of Loathing

Well, perhaps they don't blame Kingdom of Loathing for the vicious murder of 10 year old Jamie Bolin, but they apparently felt the need to make sure it was mentioned:

'Kingdom of Loathing'

On his blog, an online diary that he had kept since September 2002, Underwood described himself as "single, bored, and lonely, but other than that, pretty happy."

He mentions cannibalism, asking "If you were a cannibal, what would you wear to dinner?" and responding: "The skin of last night's main course."

In an entry dated February 4, 2006, Underwood wrote that he struggled with depression and social interaction.

"Pretty much the only time I believe in God is when I blame him for something," he said. "Or, when I'm really depressed, to cry and beg him to make me better, to make whatever is wrong in my brain go away, so that I can live like a normal person.

"That's all I want in life, is to be able to live like a normal person."

He wrote that he rarely left his apartment for long stretches, except to go to work and to buy food. "I just sit here at the computer every minute of the day, when I'm not at work. A week or so ago, I spent my day off sitting here at the computer, barely moving from the chair, for 14 hours."

He said one of his main interests was the online role-playing game "Kingdom of Loathing," in which stick figures battle one another.

In September 2004, he wrote that his depression deepened after several months without taking the medication Lexapro, an antidepressant also used in the treatment of anxiety disorders.

"For example, my fantasies are just getting weirder and weirder. Dangerously weird," he wrote. "If people knew the kinds of things I think about anymore, I'd probably be locked away. No probably about it, I know I would be."
-- Suspect blogged about cannibalism (digg it)

Emphasis not mine, CNN actually used the game's title as a subhead in the piece ... and then mentioned in only a single sentence. Seem odd? It should, because the mention doesn't make much sense let alone entitling the section of the story after it.

Kingdom of Loathing has nothing to do with this story except as a hobby for a psychopath. If he had said one of his main interests was "tennis", would CNN put that in bold? Guessing not. Video games, of course, are the evil bogeymen which will drive your kid into being an insane killer (and apparently a fat smoking one at that) ... but tennis is just a sport.

Whatever, CNN. Wonder if he watched 24 hour news? Because that can definately drive someone crazy.

Edit: Guess this AP wire and is picked by others, so it's not just CNN.



tagged: ,

2 comments:

Finster said...

This reminds of the whole Dungeons and Dragons thing. Killer connected with weird, nerdy thing that is not understood, and people start going apeshit about how it will corrupt the youth.

My old boss played Kingdom of Loathing everyday. Guess we better lock him up...

Josh said...

It's just sad to see the MSM treat this as practically apriori knowledge. Like everyone already knows that violent people love the games, so why bother explaining the mention? Obviously Kingdom of Loathing is relevant because this is what gamers are like.

I don't want to get too paranoid, but that's a serious indictment without any facts to support it.