Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Does Nintendo Solve The Gore Gap?

The Brother is home sick with a cold, but he's being consoled by Animal Crossing: Wild World ... a game which oddly enough the Best Buys around here don't seem to acknowledge to exist. Like, they don't even have a placard to tell you it might be around should they happen to have any in stock. Which sucks because the only NiWiFi access I have to The Brother is then Mario Kart, a game which he's recently become quite adept at kicking my ass.

His description of why he likes WIld World is probably common to a lot of gamers our age ... that being that we've played so many Doom clones at this point, that it's harder and harder for them to interest us:

Now, don't get me wrong, I've played my share of bloody, violent games, and enjoyed them. I played Doom and Quake and Unreal and, well, those are the bloodiest I can think of off the top of my head. I think there was a trend in the industry as the graphics cards really made strides to show off who could be the bloodiest, and I think that's resulted in a glut of games that all look alike and play alike and really don't do anything new.
-- Still sick

Nintendo's "Blue Ocean" isn't meant to be as graphically powerful as the PlayStation 3 or the even the 360, but that just indicates that they've gotten around the "Gore Gap" by not really acknowledging it's existence. Which will appeal to players young, who don't need the gore in their diet, and quite a few old, who have had their fill.




tagged: ,

No comments: