Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, February 10, 2006

Bungie and Microsoft ... at it again

It took me awhile to accept the fact that Bungie's Halo would not, in fact, be a massive third person space war epic that would play as well on Mac as it would on the PC. I don't know where I go that idea, except from how Bungie described before Microsoft rolled up with their black SUVs which, from my sources, actually run on cash. Not gasoline.

I finally just accepted that were I in their shoes, I might likely do the same. I like money. I'm not, despite what some might think, a wide eyed idealist who just wants peace and love in the world. I want cash. I'm not even against the occasional bling. It's hard to find the right enormous gold J that works well with flannel is all.

Now, though, I gotta shout out a big WTF to Bungie. Halo 2 for the PC will only run on Vista? You've got to be frakkin' joking me. You guys need MORE cash? Or maybe the vaunted "Microsoft doesn't control us" phrase isn't quite as true as reported. Bungie insists that they need Vista in order to make Halo 2 run on a PC. Which is odd, since Halo and Halo 2 were both designed for the Xbox and Halo sure didn't need Vista. So, while I admit I'm completely uninformed on the secret ingredients that Bungie is putting into Halo 2 PC ... I call shenanigans.

And for the record, it's not going to work. Halo was a very good shooter and has an awesome backstory to it. But it wasn't enough to get me to buy an Xbox. I waited until it came for the PC, and I'm glad I did. This won't get me to buy Vista. In fact, I'm not likely to buy Microsoft's OS X knock off until it's absolutely necessary considering I only use my home Windows box to play Guild Wars these days.

In short ... whatever, Bungie. Hope it's worth the bling.





tagged: ,

No comments: