Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Monday, May 16, 2005

Jane on the 360

GameGirlAdvance is almost ready to declare the console wars moot, even before Sony and Nintendo get out of the gate:

Xbox 360 does not compete with Sony or Nintendo. It is not a gaming console. It is a powerful device to deliver content online and over WiFi. Microsoft's real competition is Apple, Yahoo, and Google. Apple's movie-download service. Yahoo's retail channels. Google's - well, everything. Heck, throw Comcast and TiVo in there for good measure.


I don't really agree, but I don't really disagree either. Mostly I think it's something of an exaggeration of the situation, but I do think Microsoft's big selling point will be in the arena of downloadable content. I just don't think it's going to compete with my Tivo or iTunes anytime soon, just like my PS2 never stood a chance against my trusty Toshiba DVD player. Particularly not with the storage specs the 360 is currently listing.

No comments: