Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, May 20, 2005

"Games are not art or media"

Video games are not art or media. They are simulations, not all that different from the simulations used by the U.S. military in preparation for war.

-- Illinois Senator Deanna Demuzio

Riiiiight.

The Illinois government just got one step closer to making the sale of violent video games to minors a punishable crime. Now, tell me ... how am I supposed to trust my government to make decisions about what is a violent video game when the sponsor of the bill thinks they are all training simulations? What basis are they making these judgements on? What criteria are they choosing here? Is any interactive medium instantly a "simulation"?

So out of touch. Well, here is the good senator's bio page. Her office number is there, feel free to give her call. I may do the same.

Update ... here's her contact info, including email:

Senator Deanna Demuzio
49th District Senate Office
140 Carlinville Plaza
Carlinville, Illinois 62626

Office Phone: (217) 854-4441
Email: demuzio@senatedem.state.il.us


Hey, don't look at me like that ... it's public information. I'll be emailing the Senator when my head stops hurting. Ever had one of those Friday afternoon work hours where you just get headaches? I do.

No comments: