Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, September 07, 2007

Big Brain Upgrade

For the CheapBox++ last night. Installed a Pentium 4 3Ghz and 2GB of RAM. Was pretty damn easy, except for nearly losing a finger to those darn retention arms on the heatsink. The Girl and I discovered those are best accomplished with two man teams.

BioShock plays at full clip with a 1024x768 resolution keeping all the bells and whistles, or 1280 with a most of the fancy rendering features turned off. I'll have to see whether this means the machine has a new lease on life for upcoming titles like Unreal Tournament III (which I imagine will be even more intensive than BioShock).

Course, now I have a Celeron D and some old RAM chips laying around.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Woohoo! time to drag out and replay some of those old favorites in the way they were always meant to play. like Quake 2 or NOLF in all their 1680x1280 FSAA glory

Josh said...

If I could find a single install disc, probably would :) I think I've played Half-Life five times just because of hardware updates.

I'll settle for trying recent games like Quake 4 that brought previous iterations of the CheapBox to tears before.