Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dev Diary: Geek To Me

In my fickle way I'm considering abandoning the backstory and premise of Dreadnought (which I've never fully unfurled). The reason isn't that I don't like it - it is just that I keep thinking of it in graphical ways that aren't really an option right now. Sure, part of roguelike design is to ignore the graphics.

For now, though, I want to streamline some and create a scenario which fits the graphics. So consider a roguelike where you are a process in a remote computer, trying to take it over. There will be an "overworld" which is a network of computers. The more computers you take over, the easier it is to tackle larger and more powerful computers.

I'm trying to sketch out the mechanics. Functions as weapons, data as chests, mods as equipment, that kind of thing. Harder is trying to define the "monster" processes that will try and stop you. I'm considering some CTF elements you have to "spike" a core process (boss) with a specific item to take it over ... or something.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

No comments: