Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Friday, April 28, 2006

Interactive Fiction: The Case Of Randolph Carter

Harley. Harley Warren. The weird studies of Harley Warren were well known to you, and to some extent even shared. Of his vast collection of strange, rare books on forbidden subjects you have read all that were written in the languages of which you master; but these are few as compared with those in languages you do not understand.

"I do not know what has become of Harley Warren",you stammer,"though I think -- almost hope -- that he is in peaceful oblivion, if there be anywhere so blessed a thing. There are worse potentials for man out there than simply death."


Presenting The Case Of Randolph Carter, a short interactive work based on Lovecraft's The Statement of Randolph Carter. Instead of points, the goal here is to simply try and unlock all of the possible endings.

This is an open beta. There are probably errors, both grammatical and gameplay orientated. I might update the prose in general as well. I'll be out until Monday, probably, so this as good of a place as any to comment or point out problems. I might set up a wiki on hypergrafia later on.

Enjoy the weekend, everyone.



tagged: ,

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Next Page links are not working for me. Firefox 1.5.0.2 on my wife's Windows XP laptop. I'll try my Linux box in a bit.

Josh said...

That is odd. I'm using 1.5.0.2 on XP Pro and it's working OK.

I've occasionally had them hang, but I've never found a root cause. Maybe a hard refresh (ctrl-shift-R) might help?

Josh said...

My 1.5.0.1 on OS X seems to work OK too. I know that's not helpful if it keeps happening.

If it does keep happening, go to the javascript console (tools->javascript console) and lemme know any errors reported from hypergrafia.com.

Unknown said...

Working now. Same browser, haven't restarted, but did open the game in a new tab after lunch. I'll give the pizza credit. :^)

Will look more soon. Thanks for the work.

Josh said...

I just uploaded a new data file with stricter javascript, and that seems to be fixing some IE related errors.

Clamatius said...

Nice work. I don't have time to go through the whole thing, but here are the typos so far:

with it's tight white sheets -> with its tight white sheets

without so much of a glance -> without so much as a glance

"Don't hobble, Randolph," He calls -> "Don't hobble, Randolph," he calls

unaware of the fact that your are -> unaware of the fact that you are

alloted -> allotted

buldges -> bulges

reaches for this spade with -> reaches for the spade with

at as a lever -> it as a lever

so nauseous and -> so nauseous that

lantern's disclose -> lanterns disclose

Dear god -> Dear God

Clamatius said...

More:

with it's long -> with its long

diety -> deity

sancrament -> sacrament

it's size encompasses -> its size encompasses

Also, the "ending" count didn't update after the ending.

I'm still waiting for the word "cyclopean" to show up. Can't be a Lovecraftian story without getting that in somewhere. :)

Clamatius said...

Hmm, another gameplay bug. Ending #5 doesn't really make sense considering Page 1. Can't really say anything more without posting spoilers.

Clamatius said...

More:

with it's long -> with its long

diety -> deity

sancrament -> sacrament

it's size encompasses -> its size encompasses

it's contents -> its contents

Hesistantly -> Hesitantly

uncoils it's way -> uncoils its way

english -> English

outloud -> out loud

complaing -> complaining

and take your friend's -> you take your friend's

your are following -> you are following

Josh said...

You are so earning a spot on the info page :) Thanks.

I'm not happy with #5. Not the way it plays, not the way it sounds, and yeah ... in second reading ... not the way it makes continuity. I may have to beat it.

Perhaps with something cyclopean.