Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Monday, February 13, 2006

Video Games Keep You Young

Well, this is a new one in the ongoing war between video games turn you into psychopaths versus video games will make you genius ... video games keep the brain fresh and youthful:

Before you assume gadgets and video games fry the minds of the future, consider this: Canadian researchers are finding evidence that the high-speed, multitasking of the young and wireless can help protect their brains from aging.
-- Better living through video games? (via Gambit's Blog)

Actually, this isn't as crazy to me as some other assertions I've heard. A professor in my old psych department did a lot of research about Alzheimer's versus stress and distractions. Still, I don't know how to take this litany of short term studies which constantly try and paint video game as either beneficial or harmful. And I have played lots and lots of games ... but my memory is horrible.

But maybe I just haven't played enough...



tagged: ,

5 comments:

Clamatius said...

I think my memory's getting worse. But I'm not sure because I can't really remember how good it was...

I like your idea though. Clearly I'm not playing enough games, that's the problem. :)

Brinstar said...

My memory is sometimes bad. I'm great with birthdays, but not so good with remembering offhand comments that I make. Clearly, I need to spend more time playing videogames.

Josh said...

I swear there are times I don't remember the beginning of a sentence before I um, you know. Finish it.

Clamatius said...

Perhaps you should German have studied. :P

Brinstar said...

German language videogames will solve all problems.