Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Transitions

Tiny little things will add up this week. The cheapest PC known to mankind is quickly flying it's way to the office, possibly bringing me back into the PC gaming fold (assuming all my old parts play nice). I haven't heard back about the plexiglass rig yet, but who knows how slow the Post Office will be about it (or if the buyer won't just "forget" to pay me).

I just exchanged a couple of emails to hand unrealmods.org off to someone who will actually take the time to update it and try to get people to use it. I haven't disavowed Unreal modding just yet, but I have no idea when I'll return. As I suspected, the modding community shriveled a bit after Epic's Make Something Unreal Contest wasn't a stick to swing around any more.

Atlas is coming together better than anything I've worked on since Riftwar. I'm at work early today, so I might get home during the afternoon and try to lay out a serious GUI framework. It would be pretty simple, probably a one or two window modal display (think basic console menus). I have a lot of decisions left to make though ... like whether the game world will be completely random, completely pre-built, or a combination of both. Replaying Elite (via Oolite) has actually been enormously beneficial in reminding me of the kind of game universe that's possible.

No comments: