Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Hot Coffee Goes To Fahrenheit

The US version of Indigo Prophecy, AKA Fahrenheit, will be censored from it's European release:

Apart from the titles, there are a couple of minor details separating Indigo Prophecy from the European Fahrenheit, as several of the game's 'adult' scenes have been removed from the American version. However, Quantic Dream claims that these edits won't dramatically affect the game.
-- Indigo Prophecy goes gold!

From some posts by a reviewer on Blues, it appears that the game's director David Cage previously claimed it was an ESRB reaction to the Hot Coffee fiasco. They requested that the content be removed to maintain the title's M rating as well as assured it would be deleted from the disc's content to avoid any mods from unlocking it.

I haven't seen the content in question, although there's some tips on how to get the version from Europe in that thread. It would be interesting to see if it's any racier than Jericho's vampy sex scene in Darkwatch (which was certainly more Showtime than Cinemax ... but still didn't leave much to the imagination ... except for possibly why Jericho kept his coat on ...)

Clearly though, Hot Coffee will continue to have a chilling effect on game development even now that the controversy isn't mainstream news fodder.

2 comments:

Brinstar said...

I'm really quite torn on this one:

1. The European PC version (which I can easily get a hold of because I have many friends in the UK) is uncensored, and would be the ideal version to get. Except...

2. I played the Fahrenheit (European) demo, and the controls for the PC are not ideal.

3. I am not going to mod my PS2 so it can play European games (and I don't even know if my US/NTSC PS2 can play PAL games, even if it is modded to play non-North American region games).

So my choice is to buy the American (censored) version in PS2, because the controls are better, or buy the European PC version which seems to have crap controls (from my view).

I wonder if having a controller for my PC would make it better...

So, I will wait for reviews...

Brinstar said...

Cheers. I will look into this PC game pad malarky... :-D