Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Steam Validating ... And validating ... and...

Oh right, that's why I don't like Steam. It downloaded the TF2 updates last night and now the validation on the file is stuck at 100%, even after exiting Steam and even after rebooting the computer.

So basically software I have bought and installed is trapped on my computer. There's no actual problem with it, no actual bug, but the software that wants to police that software has utterly freaked the hell out and I can't access it.

Quick forum searches indicate the only real solution is uninstall the local content and reinstall. Oh. Yay. I was hoping to check out the new features, now I'll have download software I already had and hope Steam decides not to be an idiot anymore.

Update - Valve has made it clear to me that they are in no way responsible for actually delivering software via Steam. Because of this, I'd recommend boycotting Valve.

6 comments:

Alex Glavas said...

same here. I believe I got to play once or twice after the updates, but now nothing. I even uninstalled steam after I backed up tf2. A simple non-gui uninstall, that REMOVED THE BACKUP I JUST MADE. So, hours later, back to validating 100%. EF STEAM I just want to play my damn game I paid those ass clowns for

Josh said...

and I haven't had a chance to try reinstalling yet - but hopefully this won't turn into an even more vicious cycle.

Chris said...

Same problem here. I've tried re-installing everything from scratch, verifying the cache and every piece of advice I can find on the net, but I still can't play TF2. It's been the same since the last update; I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

Josh said...

Completely uninstalling Steam itself, and then reinstalling, logging back in and redownloading Orange Box fixed it for me.

Chris said...

Well, re-installing didn't work for me. I'm currently trying the ideas from this forum post to see if they help.

Cheers,

Chris

Josh said...

Since this post, my situation has worsened.