Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

This Will Be Ugly

Has Sony really "assassinated Lik-Sang"? (why am I not surprised that Cory's reaction to this is more sanguine than sane).

Sure, Sony is big company with deep pockets and Lik-Sang is just little old retail import shop - so clearly Sony is in the wrong here, right? Obviously they are just using legal threats to pressure the innocent into submission as part of their "suicidal on-going war" (as Boing Boing puts it). Because of course, Lik-Sang was in the right here?

It's not like Sony "recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful..."

Wait ... dot dot dot?? A legal court renders Lik-Sang's sales illegal. So Lik-Sang was, technically, or at least quite likely, breaking the law. So Sony's real crime here is ... being a narc.

Now, one can debate the effectiveness and validity of these laws and their intent to death. But Lik-Sang isn't exactly all clad in white here, people. And no, I'm not saying Sony is being an angel here. But I think "assassination" is a bit overdramatic when in reality Lik-Sang pretty much got caught - not killed.



tagged: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, if you weren't so reasonable I'd suspect you were on Sony's payroll.

Josh said...

God I know! I really wish I wasn't so rational about it because being a fanboy would take so much less time and energy.

Sony is a big evil corporation and I don't plan on buying a PlayStation 3 because I refuse to be their early adopter bitch.

There, hopefully that evens things out :)