Cathode Tan - Games, Media and Geek Stuff
logo design by man bytes blog

Monday, August 22, 2005

Fall Prospectus

I'm offering up the following for required reading of Wasted Time 101, fall semester. These titles are coming up in the next couple of months and I hope to chew through them by the end of the holidays. Now, remember, I'm not a GameCube or XBox owner, so those topics aren't covered. My apparently large and heavy PC is awaiting for me at the post office, however, so it made it just in time for classes.



X-Men Legends II
The Girl and I were big fans of the first one. Seriously some of the best designed coop missions on any console, ever, even if they do pull off annoying sections where it's solo only. This is the kind of game that I almost wish they would make smaller, cheaper, episodes about every four to six months.

RebelStar Tactical Command
Please, it's an X-Com style game, made by the makers of X-Com, on the GameBoy Advance. Not owning this game is really just not an option. It doesn't sound like it has quite the open ended gameplay of X-Com, but at least they haven't turned their back on turn based strategy.

Ultimate Spider-Man
Treyarch's excellent city based superhero gameplay with an updated, cel ... er 3D comic-inking technology engine and and all sorts of other goodies. Count me in.

Quake 4
It will have better multiplayer and single player than Doom 3, if the guys around the shop are to be believed. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if this won't just be yet another shooter ... but I'm an id whore - so what do I care?

Serious Sam II
Sixteen player coop for god's sake. I'm not even sure that's such a good idea, but I can't wait to see someone try it out. Sam is a great franchise and Serious is a great engine, so it's hard to pass them up.

Elder Scrolls IV
The Elder Scrolls series has always been a noble effort to bring a non-linear CRPG to perfection. There always some kind of technical or mechanical hitch (who didn't use a fly cheat in Morrowind at some point?), but I will always come back for more. I spent a lot of time just wandering around Morrowind, thankful that someone took the time to piece together such a treat.

Indigo Prophecy
Mystery adventure on the PS2. OK, I know by the default that doesn't sound all that great ... but someone is really trying to do a mystery adventure for a console. Someone has gone back to the adventure game genre, took a serious look at it, and is trying to create a more modern incarnation. Now does it sound great?

We Love Katamari
I loaned the original to a co-worker and I'm not sure I'll ever see it again. There is now an empty place, directly behind and to the left of my right ventricle, that requires filling.

No comments: